Can’t-Miss Costume Events: Monday, July 21 Edition
This is it, folks! San Diego Comic-Con International starts this week. Are you excited? If you’re going to the biggest multi-genre pop culture convention in the United States, or any of the smaller satellite events taking place in the city around the same time, there’s still time to pick up some finishing touches for your costume. What are your costume con plans? Share your ideas and photos with us on Facebook and Twitter @BuyCostumes! Check out the Events page on BuyCostumes.com to get even more inspiration for comic cons, Renaissance fairs, pirate festivals, and more!
Plenty of Time to Plan: (August 3 – August 9)
- Boston Comic Con (Boston, MA) Cosplay contests, comic art auctions, and the three-day BCC Film Festival are just a few of the major events happening at this year’s Boston Comic Con. The convention’s lineup of special guests includes John Barrowman from Doctor Who and Torchwood, Sean Astin from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Jewel Staite from Firefly.
- Calgary Horrorcon (Calgary, AB) Dressing up for horror in August? This is our kind of convention! Costumes have always been a huge part of this event, but this year will be Calgary Horrorcon’s first official costume contest. Non-costumed attendees will still be able to check out panels featuring the likes of Tony Moran (better known as Michael Myers from Halloween) and Lloyd Kaufman of Troma Entertainment
- Motaku (Kansas City, MO) At “Kansas City’s Premier Anime Convention,” art contests, costume contests, and panels are as popular as anywhere, but one of the con’s most unique features is the vintage gaming room. Guests can play consoles of a bygone era such as the Atari 2600 and Mattel Intellivision, or try out rarer, imported games on foreign consoles.
- Otakon (Baltimore, MD) The first Otakon in 1994 saw only a few hundred guests. Since then, it’s grown into the second-largest anime convention in the United States, with over 100,000 visitors attending last year’s installment. If you love anime, you have to check this one out
- Pensacola Para Con (Pensacola, FL) This multi-genre con is definitely geared towards those with a passion for sci-fi and the paranormal, but there’s something for just about everyone: the extremely broad guest list includes Lou Ferrigno (a.k.a. the original Incredible Hulk), actor Eric Roberts, and WWE Hall-of-Famer Bullet Bob Armstrong.
- StocktonCon (Stockton, CA) Not only is StocktonCon a fantastic comic book and anime convention, but it’s for a good cause, too. This year’s event is held in conjunction with the United Way. Dress up in costume, check out panels, and compete in gaming tournaments, all for the benefit of charity!
Happening Next week: (July 27 – August 2)
Check out last week’s post for our write-ups of these awesome events!
- Bronycon (Baltimore, MD)
- CONjure (Orlando, FL)
- Go! Daiko-Con (Pontiac, MI)
- KuroNekoCon (Spokane, WA)
- Omnicon (McAllen, TX)
- Pokemon Festival 2014 (McAllen, TX)
Happening This Week! (July 21 – July 26)
- Comic-Con International: San Diego (San Diego, CA)
- Anime Festival Orlando (Orlando, FL)
- AnimeIowa (Coralville, IA)
- Indiana Toy and Comic Expo (Indianapolis, IN)
- InvaderCON III: Final Doom (Austin, TX)
- Nagu Con (Helena, MT)
Shop convention costumes:
(Header image © Yves Tennevin)