How to Make Your Own Spider Dog Costume
Have you heard of the legendary spider dog that’s been wreaking havoc across the Internet as of late?
The original video itself, showing off a “Mutant Giant Spider Dog” terrorizing passersby (and endearing the hearts of Internet denizens everywhere), has already skyrocketed past 86 million views on YouTube and amassed more than 450,000 likes in a little over a week. See for yourself:
That whole ice bucket thing was so last month. It’s all about the spider dog, baby.
Since we love the spider dog video as much as anyone, we thought it would be fun and funny to try our own costuming hands at creating a DIY spider dog costume! Here’s what we were able to come up with – as you can see, we used an especially intimidating breed of pup in order to induce maximum terror (his name is Mr. Peabody).
With just a few items, you’re ready to go. Maybe your furry best friend will be the next canine sensation on YouTube with this one – even just one million views would be pretty nice, right? At the very least, you’ll definitely get plenty of positive reactions from your friends.
Keep on scrolling for our tutorial on how to make your own DIY spider dog costume:
The things you’ll need for this project are:
- Velcro pieces
- A posable spider Halloween decoration (more on this later)
- A length of 3 inch width ribbon – use either black or brown to match the color of your spider
- Hot glue (optional)
This might just be one of the easiest Halloween DIY projects ever! Here’s how to make it:
1. First, wrap the ribbon around the waist of your dog to measure the length that you’ll need to ensure a good fit. Ideally, you’ll want the finished product to be snug and secure, but not overly tight.
2. Once you’ve found the right length, you’ll need to add a few inches onto that in order to allow room for the Velcro. Then, you can snip the ribbon.
3. Form a loop in the middle of the piece of ribbon and slip the head of the spider decoration through it. Ensure that relatively equal lengths of ribbon remain on each side of the spider, and secure the spider in place with a couple of tight knots in the ribbon.
4. Attach your Velcro to each end of the ribbon to create a belt that can be fastened snugly around your dog. Depending on the type of Velcro pieces you’re using, it may suffice to attach it to the ribbon with knots. Otherwise, you can use hot glue.
5. Finally, place the spider on your dog’s back, wrap the ribbon around the midsection, and fasten it in place with the Velcro. Again, make sure that everything is secure without being too constricting.
Your spider dog is all ready for the prowl! (We sell costumes, not cameras.)
Here’s some further inspiration you can use when building a spider dog costume for your best friend this Halloween – all of these posable spider decorations are at least 50 inches in diameter. That one with the web is actually six feet across! Click on your favorite spider to shop this look.
Have you ever dressed up your dog for Halloween? What’s the cutest dog costume you’ve ever seen? What kind of pet costume ideas should we come up with next? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook and Twitter @BuyCostumes! Be sure to check out our Pinterest boards too, where we’re always adding new sources of Halloween costume ideas and inspiration.